Chicana Time Tea Party


               

My friend Patty (in the green dress) invited me a few weeks back to her fabulous High Tea Birthday Party at the Donald Trump Golf Course in Palos Verdes! 

Since I love me some Patty Checa, I payed my $50 ticket to reserve my seat and yes I said $50! Which I assume would include Gold Macaroons, mimosas and a plate that looked like this for that price! There was so much more that I couldn't fit it all on one plate!



Back to Patty Checa, the Hostest of the Mostest! 
It was love at first sight! Once we met it was like I've known Patty for years or from a past life:) Patty Is awesome! She's a stylist with a great eye for fashion! She's one of my few store owner's, who over the years just became a good friend! 

Checa Chic Boutique was once located in Santa Monica and I could always count on Patty to have the cutest clothes and accessories! So when she told all the ladies that we were going to have a hat contest for the Tea Party, I was determined to win!

Best hat meant you were gonna win something cute! Who doesn't want to win something cute?! Now I don't know about you, but as for me, I don't own many hats! It was a good excuse to go thrift shopping for a vintage hat, but then before I knew it I just ran out of time! Which is why my tea party turned into a Chicana Time Tea Party! Let me splain..:)


I decided I was going to make own Tea Party hat! Thought it might be fun and remember I wanted to win! Another good excuse to
 go to Michael's! I grabbed a straw hat, flowers, rhinestones, glue and left the store on a mission to create my Tea Party Hat for the win! 

It's now Saturday morning, the Bruja in me got up at 7:30 a.m. and started working on my hat! I had decided to use this Frida Sequince patch from Mexico, that I had found at a gift show and placed in my jewelry studio for the right project and as decoration!

Right then and there it hit me! No one is gonna have a Frida Hat! My Sequinced Frida Tea Party Hat is gonna win! Then my daughters & niece wake up! Why at 8 a.m. on a Saturday morning are they awake? I don't know but they were all up in my business! "Mommy what are you making? You need some more bling on your hat!" And I said you're right! Where is my sparkle?;)


I found rhinestones to add to my Frida Tea Party Hat and an old cameo that was from my grandmother Carmen, who coincidentally made costume jewelry besides her famous Nachos! Long story, just Google Carmen Rocha! 
But with a few of my loose beads and charms that I had in my jewelry studio, my Frida Hat was looking as independent, colorful and beautiful as Frida herself! 

By now it's about 11 a.m. I'm all proud of my hat and I get a call from Patty! "Girlfriend, where are you?!" " I'm at home!!! Wait, Oh no! I mixed the dates up! Saturday was the tea party, not Sunday like I had thought!!!

No wonder the Bruja in me got up at 7:30 a.m.!! Because my ass was suppose to already be at the fancy Tea Party in Palos Verdes! So I told Patty, oh no! I'll be right there, which really meant I'll be right on Chicana time which unfortunately is an hour late and might only leave me with a little cookie to eat, but I still ran from Uptown Whittier and drove as fast as I could to the tea party! I was of course right on Chicana time at 12:30, glue still fresh, Frida hat and all at the Donald Trump Golf Course! 


And you guessed it! I won the hat contest! Now I know what you're thinking, how did I make this beautiful Frida Tea Party Hat? Well it just so happens that my friend Kathy Cano Murillo from Crafty Chica saw my hat and loved it so much she asked me to create a full tutorial of how I made it! 


Click this link to find out how you can make one too!http://www.craftychica.com/site/2014/03/frida-tea-party-hat/www.craftychica.com/site/2014/03

http://www.facebook.com/kathycanomurillo















 
 
 

 


















 
 
 
 
 





 
 
































































Download entire message

Comments

Popular Posts