An Empowering Woman, Eva Longoria!

 Eva Longoria, An Empowering Women
Awarded YMCA's Dorothy I. Height Racial Justice Award
Photo Credit to www.justjared.com

Word off the street is that Eva Longoria was just awarded the Dorothy I. Height Racial Justice Award during the YMCA's What Women Want Conference on Friday, June 7th, 2013. Eva was given this award for her outstanding commitment to racial justice & advocacy for women's rights in the Latino Community. 

Life is about inspiring one another, Eva has definitely done this by encouraging higher education for all Chicana/Latina's. This is definitely something to share & celebrate! Not only is Eva Longoria an Actress, who just produced the new upcoming series, Devious Maids but is more than just an Actress, she also is a Commissioner for the National Museum of the American Latino. But wait there's more, she also created the Eva Longoria Foundation which empowers Latinas to excel in school and business!

Amazing right? Her whole focus is to help Latina's gain a higher education. Her mission is for Latina's to focus on making a Career to help break the Poverty barrier. What an empowering woman! Take a glimspe of her talk on Education. Check it out on Daily Beast. 


Your going to have to scroll a little, but I watched it and just loved the way she speaks! From listening to her interview, I found out we both have alot in common, minus the Master's Degree:) but both of our family's are from South Texas, her's Corpus Christi & San Antonio! Go Spurs!:)

Let's put our glasses up to Eva! Not only is she an Actress, An Advocate for Racial Justice but she is also the National Spokesperson for PADRES Contra El Cancer www.iamhope.org, which is a great Non-Profit organization for children with cancer. Eva's award recognition is well deserved. Adelante, Mujer!






Congrats Eva!
You have truly inspired me!

Chicana in the City


Comments

  1. Awesome post! Thank you for sharing! I do question some portrayals of Latinas that she has helped produce, but no one can deny her work throughout various organizations and making moves in the industry that many have not dared to make.

    Also, Lisa, I'd love to give you free ad/badge space for the blog on my own blog. I'm currently working on revitalizing it. I'm also still debating whether I want to host ads for businesses, as it has long been an ad-free blog. I'll probably make a decision about that by the end of the month. Either way, I believe in you and your work, I would love to offer you free ad space whether for your blog, or if I decide to include businesses: ilaments. Please let me know :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tina,

    I completely agree! I'm not fond of how Latina's are portrayed. However her speech, her activism within the community and her pursuit for higher education for all Latinas is what made the difference to me. When you have such a voice and audience and you use towards a greater good for your people and community, that's when the light goes on and you think, no that's what they mean when women are the backbone! It's this type of work such as Eva Longoria's that really does need recognition!

    Either way it reminds me that I need to go back to school! As for your blog I would love to have a space! And vice versa, if you'd like ad-free space, please email me @ shopilaments@gmail.com.

    I would love to collab!:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts